Monday, October 25, 2004

Toyota's low speed cruise control

Toyota is now talking about it's low speed cruise control. According to Scott Grant, Toyota Australia's divisional general manager for matketing, the system will "reduce the amount of pedal work involved in driving in peak-hour traffic and will therefore make driving less tiring and safer".

I can't find out what speed ranges the system is supposed to work in, but the graphic on carsguide shows it working at 5km/h.

I can understand why this sort of system might be built. In a city like Tokyo where peak hour never ends, it might be a good idea but to say that the pedal work involved in peak hour driving is tiring is drawing a long bow.

I've driven in peak hour in all manner of cars - automatic luxo-barges, manual econo-boxes and some rather more interesting things. I'm guessing that low-speed cruise control only works in automatic gearboxed cars. The amount of pedal work involved in driving an automatic car in peak hour traffic is next to nothing.

What problem is this system really solving?

No comments: