Thursday, July 07, 2005

Worst. Website. Ever.

LATEX is a great, powerful, writing tool. It's fairly user friendly but, as my C tutor once said, "it's choosy about who its friends are".

LaTeX (I can't be bothered with the sub-and-superscripting) is an interface of sorts to TeX which is a typesetting engine. Where TeX is for actually arranging text on a page, LaTeX is higher level and is for writers.

LaTeX has its roots in Unix and so tends to follow the Unix philosophy of "small pieces, loosely joined" and it uses text-files contatining marked up text to produce beautifully typeset documents without the writer having to care about font-selection, section numbering or any other word-processing futzing.

Yes, I've drunk the LaTeX snake-oil.

However, the Comprehensive (La)TeX Archive Network may well be the worst website ever. If there is a geekier website that has such great resources hidden away behind an obtuse home page, I'm yet to find it.

Fortunately, a kind soul named Graham Williams has managed to produce a catalogue of sorts to CTAN, making it possible to actually use the resource.

No comments: