Monday, March 14, 2005

Shannons Wheels car show pictures

I spent Sunday at the Shannons Wheels car show in Canberra, organised by the Council of ACT Motor Clubs.

I divided my time between the Peugeot Association of Canberra stand, where I had my 405 Mi16 and the REACT stand.

160-6009_IMG

I had my 405 Mi16 at the PAC stand. I think it looks particularly good in the pic above. Also at the PAC stand there was a 203, a 403 sedan and panel van (or delivery van if you prefer), a 404 sedan, a 504 sedan and wagon, a 505 sedan, my 405, a 406 SV and a 206CC. Not a bad showing from the Pugs.

160-6035_IMG

REACT had, as usual, heaps of cars, some from non-members. Among other things, we had two R100s, a KE20 Corolla with a rotary transplant, a Capella (or 616), two RX-4 sedans and all manner of RX-7s from all three generations. We even had an NSU Ro80 whose owner thoughtfully included his car in our display. This was REACT's third year at Wheels and, again, we made an impression for all the right reasons. It's amazing how many people owned rotaries back in the day or have old RXs sitting in a shed awating restoration.

160-6010_IMG 160-6013_IMG

One of my favourite parts of Wheels is talking to people about the club's cars. So many people don't really know about rotaries that my meagre knowledge is enough to chat to them about the progression from model to model or the basics of how the engine works that I always think they walk away feeling more informed. It's also useful to present a mature face to a club that has so many modifed cars that could otherwise be seen as "hoons".

In a slightly unusual twist, I heard from the current PAC president that there used to be a Peugeot 404 getting around Canberra that had a rotary swapped for the standard 4 cylinder engine. Knowing a little about how 404s work mechanicaly it raised more questions than answers for me (the main one was "in the name of all that is sweet and good, why?").

Apart from French cars and Mazda Rotaries, I have a weakness for British iron and there was no shortage of that at Wheels. Choice examples included E-Type (or XKE) Jaguars, Triumph Stags, TRs and Spitfires and Morris Minors of the Kustom and standard varieties.
160-6022_IMG 160-6029_IMG 160-6030_IMG

No comments: