Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Alternate History of the Rotary Engine: FAQ

What installments are there so far?
1964-67: Beginnings
1968-1970: The quiet years

What's all this about?

On most Mazda Rotary discussion forums, there's a strong dislike of V8 engines in general. They're seen as the enemy. One a club based forum, someone once asked what engine the RX-7 would have if it didn't have a rotary. I replied, in a ha-ha just serious mode, the Daimler 2.5L V8 and it nagged at me ever since.

How accurate is it?
As accurate as it can be, considering what it is. The years of various cars release and demise are correct. Edward Turner really was a Triumph motorbike engineer and designer who moved to Jaguar/Dailmer and designed the 2.5L and 4.5L V8 used in the SP250, V8 250 and Majestic and a few other cars.

Where can I find out the real story?
One of the more comprehensive rotary history sites is Monito.com's WRCE.

Why am I writing this?
Procrastination. And to wind up the hardliners.

You suck!!!11! Rotas rulez!!!1!
Thanks for the tip.

No comments: