Friday, June 10, 2005

A Comedy of Errors

It could have been worse.

I left the house, on my bike, at about 8.55am. I got about 100m away, stopped to check that I had my office keys and discovered that I had left my house keys, wallet and mobile phone at home. Normally this is not a problem.

However, just as I was about to start peddaling again, I heard a slight hissing noise. Closer inspection revealed that I had a shard of glass in my front tyre.

Decision time: keep riding to uni, a good 5kms away, or return home and attempt to fix the tyre? The leak was too bad to continue riding on so home it was. Now the problem was how to repair the tyre? I had a repair patch but no rubber cement. I could not get in to the house as M had gone out.

Thus, I decided to sit on the front step and read some papers I happened to have with me. M came home at 11-ish. Hooray! Crisis averted.

Needless to say: I am not impressed with myself for forgetting wallet, keys and phone and I will always have rubber cement and a repair patch with me when I ride (which I used to do and didn't use for 3 years).

No comments: